Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Curse of The Two Rivers

Some people in Sacramento believe in The Curse.  It's supposedly derived from an old Native American belief about the power of the two rivers
(The Sacramento and The American).  The "curse" comes into play when someone swears to never live in Sacramento again but is inexplicably drawn back. 

I have always loved my city, especially because of the rivers.  We grew up on the American River.  Spent our summers (all day, every day) swimming, sunbathing, and jumping off "Big Bertha". As teenagers we skipped high school to do "bad things" at the river, we hid from park rangers on weekend nights, rafted it on the 4th of July, and picked up trash along its' banks (never could understand the desire to spend time in a beautiful place but leave crap behind). 

My best dreams are when I am floating on my back down a river watching the trees and sky pass over head and the feeling of complete contentment.  I prefer a river to the ocean.  The ocean is endless and intimidating for me but a river is intimate and enfolding (well, maybe not The Nile).

Today we went to The Sacramento River, much different than The American as it is wider, the cliffs are usually steeper, not great for beaches, and the plant life is quite different.  We live about 8 minutes drive from where we were today.  How can I drive over it nearly every day and ignore its' beauty?  I have no good excuses.

I'd nearly forgotten that I am supposed to put some photos in a show on Tuesday. They are to go into some new condo in midtown for Second Saturday. The condo is being furnished with mid-century modern furniture and I have been in a quandary as to what I should shoot. So, I photographed some burned California Wild Grape vines and isolated sections- going for a sort of abstract, minimal thing. I like them, not really "my style", but will anyone else?







                 












 


































 






















No comments:

Post a Comment