Sunday, January 30, 2011

Art

Originally, the sculpture was to be a Medusa.  But having left it to dry out over the last 7 years (found an old newspaper used to make the form) made it impossible to add the snakes.  I had already decided to add wood to the piece, so when I poked a hole in her eye while hollowing out the back I didn't cry.  I will have to use that hole as a feature rather than a failure by working wood through it. 

We went back to the spot near the river where we'd found the burnt out forest covered in kudzu.  It was a completely different place.  After so much rain the valleys have become ponds and the naked trees and grey sky and stillness created a haunting mood.

We collected wood and made our way back on the bike trail, receiving strange looks from passing people.  Stopping to rearrange the load I got a good laugh when I looked down and saw an old log with the word "ART" carved into it.  I know it stands for American River Trail but to me it was a secret between the forest and me.

I spent the last part of the day at the studio finishing the sanding of the former Medusa.  Not quite ready to head home and leave the creative behind, I started working on one of the encaustic pieces that had gone through at least 5 ugly incarnations. It's not done yet but I finally got something I kind of like.  Maybe I won't give up on that medium just yet!




























































2 comments:

  1. Hey, Ginny ... great photo study of a place most people wouldn't find beautiful... the gnarled, blackened wood is gorgeous, I'd love to get my hands on some of it! Anyway, we creative types can always find a way to salvage an 'accident' like your Medusa's eye hole... can't wait to see what comes of it. as for the encaustic: you're a brave woman! I tried that years ago in school and hated every minute of it since it fought me at every turn: good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reubin! I plan on going back there thru the seasons and capturing more of it's strange beauty.

    I am taking the Medusa to be fired on Wed. then will start work on adding a base, wood and encaustic medium. You are right, it is a dang hard thing to work with!

    ReplyDelete