Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Lovely Drive

Yesterday we took a drive up to San Andreas, a small Gold Rush era town in the foothills East of us.  The meandering two lane road winds through rolling green hills dotted with old farm houses. 

Friends and family gathered on the little island of land on top of a small hill with an enormous oak tree at the entrance of the house. This home, overflowing with so many treasures of antiques and oddities and memories, has been a touchstone for the group of us for 30 years. The house belongs to Kitty.  As teens, she would have us up early on Saturdays yardsaling and she has never stopped.  Her taste runs the gamut from kitch to clutter to curious to ...you name it, she probably has it.  Some of Sammy Davis Jr.'s clothes, a stuffed ermine, mineral specimens, to name but a few.

Kitty is the mother of 3 dear friends, friends I met as a 14 year old, friends who shared their "firsts". A book could be written about these incredible people, a thousand stories of our escapades and experiences, how they changed my life and helped to make me who I am. I will be eternally grateful for these most constant of friends.

























 


2 comments:

  1. Ginny, a lovely post about a lovely drive, and friendship ... love the photograph of the birds like diagonally strung pearls ... I have to tell you how much I love seeing all the photos in your right-hand rail, combined they really tell me a lot about your particular sensibility and spirit ... I think of it as your visual personal profile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Reubin, you are so sweet! I really do appreciate your comments!

    Many of the sidebar photos were taken while traveling, before my business closed, when I had some financial freedom. Sometimes it is hard to look at them because I feel so stuck right now.

    I am trying really hard not to fall into "The Great Sadness" which I am prone to this time of year (sans gardening)and keep working on my art.

    The sun will be out again and the heavy wool coat will be back in the closet and the sidebar photos will be updated!

    ReplyDelete