Friday, June 25, 2010

Birds and Bees





"What do you have under your hat" I asked.

"I got me under dis hat".

After she'd gotten her chow mien at the deli counter she came up to me and said
"Since you ast, Iza mystic. See, I gotsta cover my arms, my legs, and my head".

She was dressed all in black but for the colorful, knitted hat that covered a large mass of hair. Her smile was as broad as the horizon and her easy Jamaican way pulled me in like a slow Caribbean tide.

After sharing her philosophies she'd say "...or you can jus walk away an' think Ize crazy. See, you got de choice".

Her last words to me were "Chile, you pay attention to your dreams. They got something to tell you. And the birds and the bees. They be lookin' for you".

A swarm of bees filled the sky and made a temporary home
in my plum tree.

A large span of bird wings fell from the sky and dropped at my feet.

A lone pea hen walked beside the road.

A crow died in my backyard.

A strange bird flew inches from my face on the anniversary of my father's death.

I don't know what they are telling me but I am paying attention.
I didn't think she was crazy, I thought she was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment