Friday, June 25, 2010

Mi Nuevo Abuelo

For more than 3 years, since we moved into this neighborhood, I have been saddened and angry with the next street over and it's general state of neglect. One block of that street is always littered with trash and unfriendly looks.

There is, however, one house that is the sole reason for ever going down Solano Street. The whole of the front yard is a green house made up of painted wood posts and clear, corrugated plastic sheets. The side yard is filled with plants, ceramic pots and Mexican decor. Despite the obvious constant labor put into this little bit of Paradise, I had never seen anyone there.

Today I met the creator of such beauty, Pedro. I had been calling to him but perhaps he is hard of hearing. It wasn't until I put my hand on his shoulder that he turned around and greeted this stranger with his incandescent smile. It was love at first sight.

I was actually standing inside his "secret" garden trying to speak Spanish with this very small, very old man but the light he was emanating nearly blocked out the sounds of the fountains and parrots and my ability to see the abundance of plant-life.

Then, his daughter came into the green-house and translated my awe and love of his work. I asked if I could come back sometime with my camera and she said that would be fine. I hope to bring a Mexican friend of mine who is also a gardening enthusiast.

Adios, for now Pedro. You don't know this yet but I plan on adopting you if you'll have me!

No comments:

Post a Comment