Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Dread Pirate Insomnia Has Stolen My Sleep Again

Reading for hours didn't do the trick.  Getting up and turning my friend's daughter into an alien princess didn't work.  And, the evil talking Santa one street over that was triggered by the sound of a police helicopter calling out to a perp for what seemed like hours certainly didn't help.

Months will go by without issues then suddenly, for no apparent reason, and despite exhaustion, I cannot fall asleep.  That damn brain of mine will come up with the most ridiculous things to ponder.  The irritating thing is that it is never giving me epiphanies or some wonderful idea about art or life or anything that is of any use to me. 

I will probably take a sleeping pill tonight, can't have another zombie day, like today, tomorrow.  Melatonin works but defeats the purpose as the dreams it conjures are lengthy, complicated, epic, and continuous and I wake up feeling as if I had actually taken part in them emotionally and physically.

If only a warm bath and a nice hot cup of chamomile tea with honey were enough.  Actually, that sounds really nice, too bad that would require cleaning of the tub and I just don't have the energy for it!



1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ginny, I suffer with dreadful bouts of insomnia, too ... though mine involve waking up too early. I'll wake at 2:30, fret and toss ... then sleep for an hour or so and wake again, over and over, until the alarm goes off at the exact moment I'm sleeping the most comfortably. It's truly the most frustrating hateful thing. I've tried all manner of chemical and herbal remedies and none of them help without some awful side effect/hangover the next day. I think it may be a curse of the restless, creative mind and spirit. I've pretty much resigned myself to eye-bags and nodding off on the train into the city, or napping on the reverse trip home. My sleep deficit's in the trillions at this point!

    ReplyDelete