Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Craigslist ad had us up "early"















































and off to a nearby, small, rural town in search of a plant sale. Always a sucker for succulents. Cathy, also a plant enthusiast, gave us a tour of a bit of her quite large property. It was like a little bit of paradise stuck out in the middle of the mostly flat and dry Rio Linda. I am going to go back when the light is kinder and do a little "story" about her and her place.

We drove around and I took some photos of the place I once called home. As a child we lived in an old, two bedroom farmhouse in Rio Linda. My first memories are there. My first memory of having a memory is there. My father had a worm farm and enough acreage to hide, get into trouble, and just be kids. My mom always had a vegetable garden. I had a pony named Nugget. We were a sanctuary for unwanted farm animals (a goat, sheep, chickens) as well as other strays (cats, dogs, peacocks, a white barn owl) that found their way to our happy home.

I took photos of the old stop light where my father said Trolls lived as well as the concrete structures he'd take us to see. I can't find any information about their creator, even from the locals. I walked around, despite the no trespassing signs, and felt really sad that it is no longer being taken care of. If I can find him, if he is still alive, I want to help. We have very little outsider art left around here and it could be a cool thing to get some kids or other creative-types involved.

We stopped at some yard sales and met some interesting characters, picked up some unnecessary odds and ends and ended with some great Mexican food. Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment