Thursday, August 19, 2010

The F.U.Flower










Last year I planted some seeds from a packet that had been hidden away in a memorabilia box for years. I'd purchased them in Seattle about 18 years ago. The writing was in German and didn't even have the "sunshine" or 'half-sunshine" icons to help me know when and where to plant. So, I just scattered the whole lot into one of my vegetable plots.

Only one came up, flipping the bird to the sky. It made me so happy to see that there had still been one tiny seed filled with the potential for life. It was kind of like a sign to me, as those seeds had been bought with my old love who's passed away. He has sent me all kinds of signs thru the years so it only seemed right. Comforting.

This year there are a hundred of these fellows, all flipping off whatever it is that this particular Celosia is pissed about. I can't find, though I have searched google images, this strange plant. Apparently they are eaten in Africa and Asia. The leaves and the flowers are edible but I am not going to risk a slow and painful death until I know for sure that they are indeed Celosia (Coxcomb are in this family).

No comments:

Post a Comment