Monday, August 9, 2010

Tweeker

















Like many weekends, I didn't get out of the house. Really, out of the backyard as I spent very little time in the house. I think I am becoming anti-social. It's not that I don't want to see my friends and do things, it's just that there are always so many projects out back.

I could spend each weekend just weeding or raking (not as Zen as it should be and I wish there was a kindly fairy to do that in the night). But what I really prefer to do is "tweek" things, make them prettier. Like sculpting the trees, not in a Japanese garden kinda way 'cuz I prefer a wilder garden, but just taking off a little here and there to let in more light or give a little more space for something else or bring out the form of limbs or simply picking off dead leaves.

I worked on our juniper as it had become difficult to walk under for folks taller than myself. I have always loved the the flow of its' branches and the feeling of wisdom the tree gives off. So, later in the evening I was drinking beer on the deck and gazing at the tree that looked so much taller and inviting and decided to hang more things from it.

It now reminds me of something sacred. Like an ancient banyan in Thailand filled with Buddhas and offerings. Or, prayer flags on a temple in Tibet. Yeah, I don't get out much these days so I maybe transferring some dream-like qualities to the mundane. But, hey, it keeps me going!




No comments:

Post a Comment