Sunday, July 4, 2010

Genista Monspessulana















It is often referred to as a non-native, noxious, invasive weed. One plant enthusiast even went so far as to call it Evil. Apparently it covers 600,000 hectares in Australia. I don't know what a hectare is but that sounds like a lot! I didn't know any of this until it died last week.

I knew it to be French Broom, a lovely addition to my backyard. It grew from 1 foot to 8 feet in about 3 years. It was absolutely beautiful in the spring. It never spread it's Evil seedlings around to take over my hectares.

It's last bloom was the best ever, it's swan song. Then it turned brown and died. I don't know why, they are supposedly impossible to kill. This has happened before with plants, they are the most lovely just before death.

Maybe my boyfriend or friend Bonnie poisoned it, they've complained about having to make a wide arc around it off the path. Maybe it was Hank's (our 16 year old chocolate lab) pee. Whatever the case, when one of my plants dies I feel like a bad mother. I loved that plant. On the bright side, it will now be much easier to build a mound for Penelope, the 500lb fountain found on Craigslist for $20.

2 comments:

  1. it was a beautiful plant ... but i love what you're doing with it now, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    You blow me away. Everything you touch becomes art.

    ReplyDelete