Friday, July 30, 2010

Snail Sex


Looking at my lovely, unknown garden volunteers-perhaps melons, perhaps gourds, perhaps squash, I saw two snails sitting atop a large specimen. I grabbed one with the intention of pitching them both over the fence into my neighbors backyard. I know, they will come back but I don't have the heart to drown them or dessicate them with salt. Plus, my neighbor doesn't tend his yard and I don't much care for him anyway.


The two were attached via some strange, white protrusions and I pulled them and pulled them and the slimy bits got longer and longer. A shudder and nausia went thru me when I realized what they were doing. I knew that snails were hermaphrodites but didn't know how the whole thing worked, I had to look it up. It turns out that their sex organs are near their heads and they have both innies and outies.


Yuck! They could have at least waited for the cover of darkness instead of making a big show of it!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Ginny,

    I came via Dianne Poinski site. I wanted to comment because I found your entree delightful and thought you should know.

    Allow me to mention that if you make a change to your profile and click on 'show my blogs, others who click on you avatar in the 'followers' widget on someone's sidebar, can come directly to your site. The best profile is having a Google profile as it is more customizable.

    Wishing you a wonderful start tot he week,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete