Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wakey, wakey





Mornings are always difficult and painful for me. It's not just mornings, it's waking up in general. I need at least a half an hour of zoning-out and drinking strong coffee before I can even begin to think...at all.

So, I was drinking my caffeine under the bay tree this morning and enjoying the bird's songs and the sun coming over the fence and that I had an hour or more before work to do some planting (though that didn't happen to happen).

My smallest hairy-child, Mo came running out back to where I was sitting and began to posture and prance. Then there came an awful hiss and growl, I looked down and saw a flash of grey fur. I thought it was my cat Nika. She likes to get out from time to time and think that she is a wild thing. She is a prissy, little Russian Blue whose previous parents had her declawed. After 3 years with us she is only just allowing me to hold her. She had been hiding under a chair outside for several nights.

An ugly mouth full of pointed teeth had me up and out of my seat, squealing like a little girl . My heart was racing and a crazy fear spread thru me, how long had I been obliviously sitting next to the critter and how was I going to get back to my coffee cup?

All turned out well. The opossum is gone, Nika is back in the house and I got my coffee. With it's mouth closed it was really quite cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment