Sunday, October 31, 2010

In With the New




















Some weeks back I came home to find that one of the 50+ year old rose bushes had been torn out of the ground by the city workers who were installing new water meters. It was a climbing red beauty that I'd thought about moving and replacing with a shade tree but was afraid that it wouldn't make it. The decision was made for me but seeing the poor, old thing laying there broke my heart.

So, I bought and planted an African Sumac which will be slow growning but worth the wait as I didn't want to settle for something common. The seeds of this tree were originally collected in South African in 1919 and propagated in Chico, California. I have read that the fruit of the Sumac are ground down into powder and used by people in the Middle East as a spice. Once established, it will need very little water and work nicely with my plans for our super, small front yard.

The first thing that HAS to happen is changing out the fence. At some point in this neighborhoods' history some one got the great idea of using chain-link fences and then everyone jumped on board. Ghetto! Thinking economy and re-use, I plan to get old railroad ties and stack them 2-3 feet high.

Then, out with the grass and in with decomposed granite, rock stepping stones, agave's, succulents and such. I think I will paint the brick or stain it darker, take out the geraniums (though beautiful a pain to dead-head constantly) and replace them with yuccas (of which I have an abundance).

If our house was just strong enough for a tile roof! At the end of our street, along the railroad tracks, still sits the old Portuguese tile factory that was owned by my 80 year old neighbors' uncles. You can spot the houses that were originally inhabited by Portuguese from the Russians.

As usual, so many plans...so little money and time!

No comments:

Post a Comment