Monday, October 11, 2010

the Spooky show Closing reception October 29th, 5-9pm










































There's still so much art that didn't sell that I have decided to have a closing reception. Pieces are priced as low as 5! I have thumbtacked some of my old fiber based prints to the wall and they are priced to move. Two of Michelle Greenfield's voodoo dolls art left @ $20 each and she has skulls on crosses for just $10. Rhett's Frida Calacas are all going for $20 each and there are some beautiful paintings and photographs by Kiny McCarrick as well as really beautiful tin work by Shannon as well as a dozens more wonderful works.
The last shot, The Ghost of Madame X, is one of the pieces I sold. It was my first attempt at using multiple images digitally. The curtains were photographed at the studio several years ago, actually a polaroid taken before the model stepped in, and the skull is from a series of shots I took at Sac State in the biology department. Madame Gautreau was painted by Gustave Courtois in the late 1800's and the etching I have was made from it. She had previously posed for John Singer Sargent and both were shamed by the portrait he had painted of her in 1883 which shows "a large expanse of skin" as she was wearing a gown whose straps were falling down (straps later "righted") and her pose was considered sexually suggestive.

If you would like to submit your work, please do! The more the merrier...but not 'till 4am, this time!

2 comments:

  1. I love 'Madame X'... I'm not surprised it sold ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! When are you coming to Sac? I will make you a copy and give it to you!

    ReplyDelete